While reading Jeff Seigal's latest blurb I was struck by his comments on recent events in the Electric vehicles market.
Jeff was commenting on the over reaction of the main stream media on a recent electric car fire and mentioned that a Chev Volt was recently hit by a bus and all passengers walked away.
It was his mention of these recent developments that really caught my attention:
Here's what the mainstream media has neglected to report:
- Developer of electric car networks Better Place, Inc. just closed a $200 million Series C financing, putting the company's new valuation at $2.25 billion.
- Nissan now expects cumulative sales of 1.5 million zero-emission vehicles in four years.
- Honda will unveil three new electric vehicles at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show.
- A Citroen electric van has just set a range record of 621 miles on a single charge. This was not in a controlled environment or on some manicured track. The test was conducted on public roads with commercially available batteries (not prototype equipment).
- Electrified vehicles are expected to grow at a CAGR of 19.5% between 2011 and 2017.
- Nearly 8 million electric vehicle charging locations will be available across the globe in just about five years.
- Fifteen electric car models will be available in the United States in just about two years. Today, there are three.
Yes, my friends, that Chevy Volt was on fire. And so is our portfolio, thanks to the rapid development of the electric car market.
The electric car: You can mock it, ignore it or profit from it.
More on electric cars from Jeff Seigal -Colin Powell's Electric Car